The basic details ... presented in a very basic way!
We contra dance every 1st and 3rd Saturday AND every 4th Tuesday Sept-June. We also host the occasional special workshop, concert, and dance weekend. See the schedule for more info on dance-related events.
Saturday dances: 8:00pm-11:00pm - free introductory/basics lesson at 7:30pm.
Tuesday dances: 7:30pm-10:00pm.
Saturday evening dances: Regular $12 ... Members & students (with ID) $10 ... Youth 16 and under free.
First-time dancers at our Saturday dances receive a card to attend their second dance free.
Saturday afternoon dances: (dances, workshops, waltz sessions) Are also $12 for regular entry, members & students are $10.
Tuesday dances: Regular $7 ... Members & students (with ID) $5 ... Youth 16 and under free.
Interested in becoming a member? Visit our membership page.
What to bring
Light casual clothing as you will probably get a bit warm. Regular indoor shoes with non-marking soles and low heels for easier dancing are a good idea. And ... bring a water container too!
Our Saturday and Tuesday dances happen in different locations.
Entrance to use on the building's east side
Saturday dances: Churchill Rec Centre in Westboro, 345 Richmond Road (side door). The centre has a fabulous dance floor used by many groups in the city and is located in the great neighbourhood of Westboro. It is very accessible by foot, bike, bus, car, or ride share.
- By bus: Route 2 will drop you off right outside the hall. Alternatively, the hall is located within an 8 minute walk south and west of the Westboro transitway station. Visit OC Transpo to easily plan out your route.
- By car: The hall is within a five minute drive of the Queensway in the Ottawa community of Westboro. Go to google maps and type in "345 Richmond Road, Ottawa, Ontario". Free parking is available in the hall parking lot accessible off Churchill Rd or along side streets. To park in the hall parking lot, make sure you get a free parking pass inside and put it in your car as they check the lot Saturday evenings.
- By ride share/carpool: If you are interested in carpooling (offering a ride/looking for a ride) on a regular basis, you can post a request to the contra dance listserve. However, your safety and comfort in offering/taking a ride is your responsibility and the committee assumes no liability. Think about it - a great way to get to know other dancers, save money, and decrease your environmental impact.
Tuesday dances: Our Tuesday dances happen in a gorgeous hall in Hintonburg (41 Rosemount Ave), just a few minutes drive from our Saturday hall. Bus access is very easy for this hall as well and there is parking right across the street in the school parking lot.
From out of town and planning a meal before the dance? There are a number of great restaurants in the neighbourhood, some of which are in easy walking distance.
Some favourites of dancers within a five minute drive include:
- The Table - vegetarian
- Siam Bistro - thai
- The Village Cafe
- The Works - fancy burgers
- The Newport
- Fratelli's - italian
- Milagro's - south american-latin-mexican
- Won Ton - chinese
- Agave Grill - mexican
There are various bed and breakfasts as well as hotels in the Ottawa area. However, we may be able to accommodate the odd visitor with billeting. If you are from out of town and want to come to a contra dance but need a place to stay, contact us.