Contra dancing is a joyful, energetic community dance for all ages. We dance to live music – fiddles, guitar, accordions, and more – and talented callers guide us through dance formations.
Beginners are very welcome – all dances are taught and no partner or previous experience needed – just bring your smile!
“It was [a] very friendly atmosphere. The instructions were good. The music was fantastic!” “Very welcoming.”
Contra Dance Season Starts Sept. 17, 2022
During the 2022-23 season, contra dances will take place on 1st and 3rd Saturday evenings at the Churchill Recreation Centre, 345 Richmond Road, Ottawa. The first dance of the season will be on September 17th. Dances will run from 8-10:30 PM, with an Introductory Session from 7:30-8 PM (highly recommended for new participants). Our local callers will be leading the dancing.
- Saturday October 1 – Band: Traditional Fare: Dan Schryer, Paul McClelland, Alistair MacDonald, and guest Ian Clark; Caller: Peter Simonyi
- Saturday October 15- Band: Greg Brown, Richard Forest, Ian Clark; Caller: Catherine Burns
- Saturday November 5 – TBD (check back soon); Caller: Peter Simonyi
- Saturday November 19 – Magia Vestis (James Stephens, Kate Weekes, Peter Andrée)
- December 3rd and 17th, 2022 – to be announced soon
- 2023: 1st and 3rd Saturdays through June 17, 2023
Covid Measures: Masks are Required, Vaccinations are Recommended
Dancers are required to wear a well-fitting mask at all times, except briefly while actively drinking. Please see our list of Covid measures here.
For more information, check out our Schedule page.
To stay informed, if you are not already subscribed to our Newsletter, please sign up for our emails here.